Sunday, July 26, 2009

Don't try this at home, kids!

Well, I'm feeling totally awful, and it's because I did one of the dumbest things known to man today. I lit a candle when we got home from church this morning, and when we left for church tonight, I (oh so stupidly) forgot to blow it out! So yeah, when we get home there is this cloud of smoke hanging in the kitchen and a softball sized black spot on our countertops where the candle was sitting! Seriously!? How could I have missed that? I guess we caught it just in time, 'cause the smoke alarms hadn't gone off yet, and nothing was on fire. I still got one of those horrible gut wrenching feelings when I thought about how close we came to losing everything we own. Thankfully, it's on a small patch that "should" be easily replaceable, and there is no smoke damage to the house. Also, I'm thankful for my sweet husband who hugged me and told me it would be alright as I fought off the urge to throw up. Grrrr! I hate when I do stupid things! Why did I feel the need to confess my stupid deed? I don't know. For some reason, getting it off my chest makes me feel better, and you all (y'all for the Texans) can learn from my example. "Never ever leave a burning candle unattended!" If I can sleep tonight, it'll be a miracle.

4 comments:

Cheri said...

Look at it this way, the stuff is just stuff, the only truly important "things" you keep in that house were at church with you and not in danger of being burned up.

((((((hugs))))))

Jenn said...

Yeah, you're right. It still stinks, though (literally). :)

Jamie said...

Oh, that is scary. Actually, I've done that before — left the house for hours and then come home to find that I'd forgotten to blow out a candle. Thankfully, I've just come home to wax puddles, but I know exactly what that gut-wrenching feeling is. It takes a while for the adrenaline to wane, huh? I'm sorry you had such a nasty surprise waiting for you, and I'm so thankful God kept all your belongings safe. And way to go Ty for being compassionate in such a not-fun situation!

:::b r a n d i::: said...

I think we've all done this at some point, although I've never had one leave a spot or smoke. I have left and come home to find one lit, but thankfully it was a new candle so it had 20+ hours to burn before it became a hazard.

Don't beat yourself up over it and just thank God that it all worked out ok. You guys are all safe which is what matters. : )