Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Oh the luck!

So, the girls and I traveled to Manhattan (KS) for our good friend, Kristen's, baby shower last Saturday. On the way, we stopped at a Dairy Queen for a snack and a potty break. We get our food/drinks, and Anna immediately spills every drop of red fruit punch all over the table, bench seat, and floor. Accidents happen, so I thank my lucky starts nothing landed on anyone's clothes, clean up what I can, and inform the nice lady at the counter that she'll want to have a mop handy when we leave.

About 3 bites into our food, Anna announces she needs to go potty. She proudly tells me she doesn't need me, and that she can do it all by herself. I had already been, and knew that it was just a 1 person room, so I walked her back to make sure it was open and let her go (reminding her to push the little button that locks the door so no one would walk in on her). I'm thinking to myself, "This is great! Pretty soon I'll have 1 less kiddo to accompany to the potty while we're out!" Meanwhile, a little time passes, and I go back to check on her, and she says (surprisingly calmly, "Mommy, I can't open the door." "What do you mean you can open the door?" I say. "Just turn the handle." She turns, I turn, nothing. No problem; I just tell Anna I'll go ask for the key. I go back to the counter to get a key, and the girl says she'll go get the manager. Then she walks around to where the bathroom is, and tells me rather nonchalantly that they don't have a key to the bathroom. I muster up all the politeness I can and tell her, "Well, we're going to have to find some way to open the door since I can't just leave my daughter in there." "Oh. Right," she says. Then the "Bathroom Door Whisperer" enters the scene. This little Mexican lady who has been quietly cleaning the booth right by the bathroom door and starts yelling, "Turn!" and yanking the knob with extraordinary force! Somehow, it all came together, and the door opened! Boy, was I relieved. I was picturing firemen with axes chopping down the door while CPS people questioned my sanity. Later, I found out she was trying to push the button AND turn the knob at the same time. Oh, boy! Well, at the least the DQ was yummy, and we had a great time at the shower!

2 comments:

:::b r a n d i::: said...

oh dear! What a fun story!

Kristen said...

oh dear! I didn't know you had such an adventure in Manhattan! :)